In this regard, UNDP Ukraine invites applications from highly qualified and experienced Ukrainian professionals for the post of the Engineering Specialist (non-key expert) to support implementation of the EIB Technical Assistance Project (TA) under Component 1 of the RPP.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specifically, s/he will perform the following key tasks:
- Support regions and final beneficiaries (municipalities, other public bodies) to fine-tune needs assessment, establish priorities and identify specific early recovery projects, and defining plan for renovation;
- Coordinate under Engineering Specialist’s guidance establishing an infrastructure reconstruction plan in close cooperation with the local authorities and local business;
- Review, check and appraise the engineering design, cost estimates and drawings of social and economic infrastructure facilities which will be prepared by qualified and competitive local engineering design companies;
- Ensure adherence to selected direct administration procedures and verify compliance with standard costs;
- Ensure control for carrying on construct/renovation of social and economic infrastructure facilities such as energy and water supply system, road, bridge and transportation system, supply chain, equipment and other production capacity in targeted areas;
- Contribute to preparation guidelines for implementation of supported projects;
- Provide advisory support to final beneficiaries and assess adequacy of operations;
- Ensure identification and screening community-based projects, provision support to local communities for its preparation, collaborate with local authorities in view of its implementation.
Collaborate with the Programme mplementation Unit (PIU) and PIU consultants in:
- identifying unit costs and standard costs for typical and concrete sub-projects, and assess for each sub-project any cost deviations;
- assessing for each sub-project any indicators of acquisition of sub-standard services and/or sub-standard equipment that could indicate mal-practices, promptly informing the Engineering Speciliast (key expert) and Project Manager (EIB-Technical Assistance Project )/Team Leader.
Ensure efficient and effective delivery of the Project activities:
- Contribute to preparation of Project implementation plans, and other related documents for timely commencement and implementation of the activities;
- Contribute to preparation of supportive documents in line with Project objectives and tasks;
- Liaise with respective governmental organizations to ensure the component activities are implemented on timely and efficiently manner;
- Ensure coordination/partnership with relevant governmental, non-governmental and international organizations, including UN agencies and projects at national level and regional levels for mutually reinforcing impact;
- Take measures to prevent and eliminate defects and make propositions on optimization;
- Provide project monitoring through regular visit of the project sites, reviewing implementation progress against the agreed plans and milestones;
- Maintain close liaison with regional and local project partners, ensuring optimum participation and promoting ownership of authorities in the implementation of the Project;
- Ensure handover of the renovated/reconstaructed infrastructures to the relevant authorities for operation and maintenance;
- Develop the professional platform for networking and partnership building with the national and local authorities, non-government, private sector and international development organizations or projects;
- Participate in relevant working group meetings and share information with partners and UN agencies;
- Contribute to preparation and implementation of the Project communications strategy and plan;
- Prepare sections of the project reports, including progress and annual reports, as well as ad-hoc technical reports;
- Review norms and normative, certification and other requirements (esp., environmental, energy efficiency) and provide the technical advice in case selected projects require obtain permissions and construction certificates, other permitting documentation, as required;
- Contribute to preparation of manuals and instructions/procedures documents for rayon-, city- and/or oblast authorities to follow, in support for implementation of the the EIB Technical Assistance Project (TA) under Component 1 of the RPP ;
- Ensure preparation of necessary technical documentation;
- Perform other activities as requested by the Engineering Specialist (key-expert).
- People Management;
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Knowledge Management and Learning;
- Development and Operational Effectiveness;
- Management and Leadership;
- Conflict Management;
- Result orientation;
- Self –management and emotional intelligence.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches:
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches.
- Ability to manage project for results, including the ability to translate strategic aims into achievable annual work plans; and prepare reports in a timely manner;
- Ability to handle politically sensitive issues and contacts within government authorities and CSO’s community and within UNDP;
- Sound judgment and maturity to foster a positive work environment;
- Good coordination and facilitation skills;
- Excellent knowledge of regulations and requirements in the field of design, construction, natural environment protection, safety protection and fire safety;
- Sound knowledge of civil engineering and modern construction technology;
- Excellent knowledge of technical specifications and performance schedules of construction and installation works;
- Knowledge of procedures for acceptance of completed construction facilities, quality control procedures;
- Familiarity with national legislation in the area of IDPs and early recovery, norms and standards of construction works, including critical social infrastructures;
- Excellent usage of computers and office software packages, including engineering design software.
Required Skills and Experience:
- MA degree (or equivalent) in in Civil Engineering, Engineering, Architecture Construction or related field;
- A minimum three (3) years of relevant experience in designing and/or managing civil engineering projects reconstruction / construction of economic and social infrastructures or other related field;
- Experience in the field of technical supervision with valid certification will be considered as advantage;
- Experience of working with relevant stakeholders from the governmental and non-governmental institutions involved into recovery and IDPs as well as economic and social development issues at the national and sub-national levels will be a strong advantage;
- Familiarity with UNDP bidding procedures for procurement of civil works and services will be considered as advantage;
- Fluent Ukrainian, Russian and English languages.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 10 January 2019.